Rat Poison and Dogs

Dogs eating rat poison is not an uncommon problem for dog owners. Rat poisons can be fatal even in small amounts. They can be ingested through direct consumption of the pellets or indirectly from chewing on or eating a contaminated rodent. To ensure the safety of your pets and prevent such incidents, it’s crucial to invest in professional pest control services such as the ones at For effective and safe solutions, consider exploring options like rodent control to keep your home free from harmful pests.

If your dog ate rat poison, it is important to seek treatment right away. Rat poison is made with blood thinners and is designed to cause hemorrhaging in rodents, and will do the same to your dog.

Symptoms can be subtle and may not become apparent for up to 24-48 hours.

Symptoms of Rat Poisoning

There are a number of different symptoms to look out for when dealing with rat poison ingestion. The severity of the poisoning usually depends on the type of rat poison used, how much was ingested, and which chemicals are in that particular brand of poison.

The most common is called ‘Warfarin’. Some symptoms to look out for include:

  • Blood coming out of different cavities, such as the nose, the stool or in the saliva.
  • Weakness
  • Pale gums
  • Low body temperature
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Bruising

If any of these symptoms are present, it is imperative you get to a vet as soon as possible. If you cannot make it to the vet, call an emergency hotline and they can give you best advice to deal with your dog’s rat poisoning.

Dogs eat rat poison because they sometimes mistake it for kibble. Rat poisons are usually made to “taste good” to the rat, and unfortunately, dogs happen to enjoy the taste as well.

Tips for Prevention

Prevention is the best way to keep your dog from eating rat poisons. Here are some tips for preventing your dog from eating rat poison:

Place pellets/poison behind fridges, stoves, and other large appliances your dog cannot access.

Have an exterminator professionally rid your home of rodents. Although it can be costly, it is better safe than sorry for your dog, as well as your family.

Put poison in areas your dog doesn’t usually frequent. Be careful though, if a dog can roam, he will. It only takes one time to become poisoned.

Place the pellets/poisons on the roof, in the attic, ceiling board, or crawlspaces. Any place you know is locked and away from your dog at all times is the best. Plus, most rodents can be found in these areas anyway.

For more information about dogs and rat poison, a list of further symptoms, and tips on what to do in an emergency, visit

About Ciara

We are your #1 resource for all things dog health! Follow us on Twitter for daily dog health tips! @DogHelpNetwork Visit out website at

Check Also

rhodesian ridgeback JME

Myoclonic Epilepsy Gene Discovered in Dogs

A gene potentially linked to epilepsy has been discovered in dogs. A study investigated juvenile myoclonic …

Curly coat retriever

Rapid Decline in Male Dog Fertility Observed

Male dog fertility has drastically decreased over the past 26 years, a University of Nottingham study …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.